[Gllug] [OT] Non Nat dsl router advice?

Ian Norton ianort at essex.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 15:34:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:18:31PM +0100, Andy McGarty wrote:
> >On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 14:58, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> >>I don't quite understand. Someone directs a packet at your ip address,
>
> >I thought so too.
> >But a quick Google for 'VOIP NAT' indicates things aren't all that easy
> >for VOIP.
> >
> Exactly.  Can't user NAT/port forwarding for H323 voip.
> So back to my original question, does anyone have a dsl router, not doing
> NAT, that only has one IP (or possibly three but not on the same subnet!)
> so the dsl router becomes transparent and the linux firewall/servers have
> public IP?

I happily use my linux box as a router, ive got a 2.5mbit adsl modem
inside it.

I also happily use skype and gnome-meeting for voip, a little bit of
NAPT easily sends all voip traffic for gnome-meeting to one machine.

Other ways I managed it in the past were to allow select callers to vpn
into the firewall, then the h323 traffic had reachable addresses inside
the private lan

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk