[Gllug] Java ...

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 12:14:23 UTC 2004

Here's a link to a recent discussion about Tomcat on Linux, which might be
helpful...

One of the posters mentions (quote) "Works well, but no .deb file to install
it so had to use the tar file."

HTH

Regards

Harry Mantheakis

> Hi Rich
>
> I cannot help you with respect to kaffe, nor indeed with respect to getting
> Sun's JVM to work on Debian.
>
> But I can tell you that I use Tomcat and have been subscribing to their user
> list for a good year now, and I do not recollect people having problems
> getting Sun's JVM to work with Debian.
>
> I have been sensitive to 'Debian' being mentioned on that list, because I am
> still considering it as a distro now that I have to move away from RH9. I am
> pretty sure that there are many Debian servers 'happily' running Sun's JVM.
>
> Keep the faith, and try installing Sun's JVM. Go for version 1.4.2. The 1.5
> release has only just come out, so you might want to wait and see how that
> one pans out before installing it.
>
> I suspect, though I do not know this for a fact, that kaffe is an older
> version of Java - perhaps 1.2 or 1.3. For that reason alone, I would opt for
> Sun's version.
>
> Yes, the JVM is big - but once you have got it working, Linux and Java (142)
> are a good match, I think!
>
> All the best.
>
> Harry Mantheakis
>

>> I've been struggling to avoid using Java for the last few years, but
>> I've come across a Java program which I absolutely have to run.
>>
>> The Sun "JVM" is huge, non-free and requires some weird
>> Debian-incompatible installer, all reasons to avoid it.
>>
>> I tried installing kaffe, which appears to be free, but it throws some
>> sort of stupid CLASSPATH error:
>>
>> $ java -cp `pwd`/TGWikiBrowser.jar:`pwd`/BrowserLauncher.jar \
>> com.touchgraph.wikibrowser.TGWikiBrowser meatball.txt \
>> http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl? hypermedium 2 false
>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:

/usr/local/src/TGWikiBrowser-1/02/TGWikiBrowser/jar:/usr/local/src/TGWikiBrow>>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk