[Gllug] Strange Mac file

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Oct 1 10:22:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:50:10AM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > $ file Gertcha_Gig
> > Gertcha_Gig: MacBinary III data with surprising version number
>
> MacBinary is one of the formats that shoves the resource and data forks
> into a single file.  Macs have this concept and Resource forks are used
> for various metadata like the icon and stuff.
>
> Stuffit Expander is the tool on Mac and Windows to get at it.  I seem to
> recall that there are tools for linux.
>
> apt-cache search macbinary
> macutils - Set of tools to deal with specially encoded Macintosh files

That looks like a likely package doesn't it, but unfortunately none of
the programs in that package seem to know what to do with this %$!$
file!  macunpack has a go, producing a .bin file with the same strange
type.

Rich.

Learning Objective CAML for C, C++, Perl and Java programmers:
http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/