[Gllug] RMS hurt in fatal road accident?

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 12:11:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 01:23:40PM +0100, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why are cars evil ?

Hrm, maybe I should qualify that somewhat..

The existence and use of cars is evil:

* It encourages the petroleum industry, which might have some rather
  nice computers, but which is evil.
* Their use tends to end in death in a small but significant proportion
  of cases
* Huge amounts of resources are tied up managing and recovering from the
  use and abuse of cars. Insurance, policing, roadbuilding, road
  furniture, government departments, jails, hospitals, etc.
* They pollute
* Their use discourages investment in public transport, which should be
  promoted.
* They can turn somebody with no malicious intent into a murderer
  very easily
* They are rarely necessary, merely convenient
* http://www.anti-rice.org/

I would say that people who drive cars are evil, but then I'd be
accusing most of the so-called modern world of being evil, and that
would take more justification that is possible on a Monday.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk