[Gllug] Problems keeping internet connection.

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 12:48:06 UTC 2004

I'm using a D-link DSL300T adsl ethernet modem and a Macronix MX987x5 network
card and periodically I'm unable to get interent access. Its as if either the
network card, or the modem, stop working. But if i reboot into MS Windows
2000 then it all works perfectly again, and I can reboot [again] and log back
into linux. My firewall is Firestarter 0.9.3, with one trusted host which is
my modem.  Kernel is 2.6.8-1.521.

I can, at the moment, at least log into the modem and check its connected and
working seemingly okay. But when it drops the connection then I'm totally
unable to gain access to it.

Is it ...
a) my modem dying,
b) the network card playing up [I did find back on windows a tick box for it
to stop it powering down but I can't find anything similar on linux [and I
can't find it back on windows again either]].
c) a problem with my firewall.
d) tiscali playing silly b*****s
e) something else!

I do have another network card available to me [a realtek card] which I can
put in, but as this problem first started manifesting itself whilst the
realtek card was in the box, thats suspect too.

Can anyone help me please sort out this problem, its driving me up the wall.

Sharon.
--
 11:19:37 up 12 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.15, 1.53, 1.07
Linux is like a wigwam, no windows, no gates, apache inside.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk