[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Oct 7 08:45:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:55:20AM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
> I doubt such a law would be enforcable. How many lawsuits has the American
> equivalent spawned? Not many that I can remember. It seems to be more of a
> scare tactic.

Well, the RNIB has been threatening to take lots of website owners to
court recently.  Whether they do so or not, I for one would not want
to be on the receiving end of the attentions of the RNIB - it would be
a PR disaster.

> Why isn't anyone demanding that the producers of devices aimed at
> people with disabilities be improved instead of demanding that the
> majority of web developers restrict their creativity? We should be
> looking at ways of solving the problems people with disabilities
> encounter by developing better technologies aimed at those needs,
> not crippling existing designs. Isn't it better to develop a
> text-to-speech synthesiser that can handle existing standards rather
> than impose new standards on web developers?

Answer: no.

Rich.

MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,
RPMs, pkgs etc. Linux, BSD, Solaris. http://www.annexia.org/freeware/makeplus/