[Gllug] Still no decent FTP client for Linux?

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Thu Oct 7 09:21:21 UTC 2004

Garry Heaton writes:

>I do not have the time to use CLI ftp clients as this is one area in
>which a GUI is a real time-saver.

Odd. I've found exactly the opposite. One of the reasons I still use
command line FTP clients (pftp being my preferred one at the moment)
is that the GUI ones are all too slow. I don't want to download a list
of files in each directory after each action. Particularly when browsing
large sites such as mirrors of your favourite distribution, this can be
a significant overhead. Plus you get all the inherent inefficiencies of
using a GUI -- the need to switch between keyboard and mouse, the lack
of things like readline (compare the speed of filename completion with
trying to find the right file in a listbox with a scrollbar), etc.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk