[Gllug] [OT] Non Nat dsl router advice?

neil chambers neil at cozyspace.net
Tue Oct 19 10:41:31 UTC 2004

From: Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org>

> Andy, I came across a D-Link ADSL modem a week or so ago that might suit
> you. The device connected to its Ethernet side gets the public IP address.
> No NAT or firewall or anything. So you could put a firewall Linux box there
> with GNUGK on it. I don't recall the type number but it will be on the
> D-Link site. I too have battled with H323 and its quite NAT hostile.
>
> Ken - in nearby Riddlesdown

I have one of these - it's a D-Link 300t. I use it with a linksys WRT54G
with public firmware from Sveasoft. It works a treat and _may_ do what
you need, Andy.

I have a very early ATM DSL router from Lucent - a Lucent CellPipe
(can't remember the model off the top of my head). It will most probably
do what you need, if only you can configure it. I gave up in the end -
it has the most arcane configuration method of any networking gear I
have ever come across. I managed to get it doing NAT (it doesn't by
default) but couldn't get to grips setting the firewall using what
looked to me like a tcp/ip binary mask. A bit too high end for me. If
you fancy giving it a go you are more than welcome to.

Good luck,
Neil.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk