[Gllug] Linux - Sound

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 19:25:46 UTC 2004

    I would like to be able to do some work with sound under linux.
    Basically what I need to do is take the sound from the sound card
and analyse it. I need to frequency analyse it to get some information
from it ( 5 tones radio call sign identification if anyone's
interested). I can do this analysis with a a fourier transform algorithm
(which i have).
    My problem is in getting the sound from the sound card to the
algorithm. Linux sound seems so unstandardised working out how to do it
is dreadful.
    I'm using thin clients and nasd, and I also have arts working on my
thin clients, I could use a standalone for this job however there seems
to be two different sets of sound card drivers for linux both of which
talk in different ways.
    So what is the best way of driving the sound card in linux when
there are so many different ways of going about it. Currently I can play
wav files in Qt but ideally I need to be able to cope with other sound
formats, Basically I want a standard do it all api  for sound, Something
that can do for sound what gtk or qt does for graphics....

    Any ideas for better places to look/ask or any solutions (i've
googled with no effect)
    thanks

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk