[Gllug] xbox linux

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Mon Oct 18 07:14:49 UTC 2004

Craig Millar wrote:
> Richard Cohen wrote:
>
>> Hmm... long mail...
>>
>> Cheers
>> Richard
>>

> indeed! can anyone explain the benefits of our beloved os on the xbox.
> are you, like me (thinking of slapping it on the missus' ipod) intending
> to do so just because you can, or because there is some hitherto untold
> functionality available resultant of your fiddling? sure, you can make
> it sit on its hind legs and beg and behave like something it isn't just
> for fun, but what is the incentive apart from geek nirvana? just
> curious, ignore my inflammatory tone.

I want a computer in the living room (for watching recorded TV, playing
music etc) - and don't need much power

The Xbox is subsidised by M$ and second hand ones seem to be around £50

It's hobbled but this has been done in software which can be overwitten

AIUI - once you have Linux installed it's like any other x86 running
linux (700Mhx celeron, 64Mb, 8Gb, DVD, and TV out)

I think they are ugly and I'd rather a diskless/fanless machine
http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=315
but it's a lot more expensive ....

--

Sean