[Gllug] Linux-compatible feed of the spaceshipone launch?

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Oct 1 09:48:15 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Tethys announce to the hordes:

> Richard Jones writes:
>
> >Does anyone know if there are any free, Linux-friendly feeds of the
> >SS1 launch today?  space.com have a feed but it appears to be Windows
> >only.
>
> If you're on x86, then I think with a bit of fiddling, you may be able
> to get mplayer to handle this. Otherwise, you're SOL...

Yep, play wmv files all the time on my machine with mplayer.
You just grab the codec files from mplayer hq, untar them, copy them into
/usr/lib/win32 and... that should be all you need.

some newer variants on the codecs might be flaky or not work at all, but
I've had very little trouble with it. I can even play realaudio streams from
bbc (and indeed, capture them using mplayer -ao pcm)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk