[Gllug] Mounting Win2k Dynamic partitions in Linux

farnsaw at stonedoor.com farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Oct 6 11:26:02 UTC 2004

Does anyone know how to mount Win2k Dynamic partitions in Linux?  I am
running RedHat 9 (Normally run Debian, but this is not my machine) and
have installed the NTFS tools RPM.  I can mount the drive but only see
the first partition of the drive.  Under windows it shows up as 4
separate drives... W/X/Y/Z and when I mount it under Linux it only gives
me /dev/hde1 as an option and only the first partition mounts.

I have searched the web and discovered the Win2k has this "Soft
partitioning" scheme where the actual partition table is stored in 1m
Reserved areas at the end of the partition.

Fdisk shows it as type SFS with an id of 42.

Thanks,

Andrew Farnsworth

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk