[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 11:59:12 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 12:48:32PM +0100, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> Looks good, but my mozilla (1.2.1) ran like a dog and none of the
> links to other designs worked! Note that I am a css fan.

I doubt anyone ever tests things with older versions of mozilla. You're
running open source, so you must be always wanting to be on the bleeding
edge, right? :)

> The zengarden home page with links to different designs really does
> look great...

It does, but most of the work when doing things with CSS is working
around IE bugs or deficiencies.

Something I would like to see (and if anyone knows of such a thing,
please share) is the CSS spec, edited to cover actual known
implementations, so rather than saying "here's this wonderful
language, which can specify how to do loads of fancy layout", you get
the spec, with the description of what each language element is
intended to do, and then a list of any deviations from the spec that
are present in known implementations.

O'Reilly's "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide" is a step in
the right direction though. Well worth having if you're doing anything
with CSS (in conjunction with w3c.org/Style, of course)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk