[Gllug] [OT] dsl router advice?

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Mon Oct 18 11:51:03 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have my linux boxes behind a DSL router doing NAT at present but I need
to make one of them have a public address.

My current cheapo router has a thing called half bridge that seems to
allow this but its very flakey and I lose the connection every few minutes
so I've gone back to the previous NAT config.

I know a number of people have servers on public DSL addresses and wonder
what dsl routers you are using?  I currently have just the one IP, but my
provider has given me two extras (not in the same subnet!) so presumably
the router will have to become transparent to pass everything through to
my own linux based firewall/servers.  Will I have to use "bridged ethernet
over ATM" rather than my current IP over ATM?

Finally, I'm confused how the gateway address I've been using is on a
totally different subnet to the my own ip/netmask as I've always thought
your router had to be on the same subnet?

Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Andy
aka confused of Purley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk