[Gllug] OSS

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Oct 26 11:41:30 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, John Hearns wrote:

> Quick Googling turned up this link for the Rebel Alliance side:
> http://www.linuxmednews.com
> and
> http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=index-html&issn=1549-1676
> Public access medical journal.
> I think this was discussed in the Guardian yesterday. Important for the
> third world where institutions/scientists/medics can't afford
> traditional journals.

More to the point: why should data and research results that are paid
for by the taxpayer be available to said taxpayers only through
subscription to a very expensive journal?  They don't pay their
reviewers.  They don't pay their authors.  What is the expensive
subscription paying for?  Gold-plated typesetters and printing presses?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Arguing online is like being in the Special Olympics.
You might win, but you're still retarded.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk