[Gllug] Is it just me or is www.hmce.gov.uk broken?

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 09:56:45 UTC 2004

Pip wrote:
> On Sunday 10 Oct 2004 10:29, Mark Hill wrote:
>
>>From using lynx with the site, I think the redirected URL is a gzip
>>compressed text file. Can IE handle such things, or is this site
>>having a bad day?
>
> The browser isn't at fault. I've tried Dillo, Konqueror and Opera, you've
> tried lynx, others have tried Firefox... none of them know what to do with
> a .portal file.
> Well, that's my guess anyway.

Actually, the filename suffix is not an issue, you can call a file
whatever you like, the problem is that they are sending back a
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:52:48 GMT
Server: Apache
Keep-Alive: timeout=30, max=297
Connection: Keep-Alive

and so IE is being 'clever'[0] and interpreting it as HTML because it
sees tags in it, all of the browsers that are having 'problems' are
rendering it correctly.

Will.

[0]Broken
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk