[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Fri Oct 8 09:47:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:17:19AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> > I observe that in a much more mature industry - book publishing -
> > most of the output is single-column, black on white, with no fancy
> > layout. Of course they have learned that people read books for the
> > words, not for the typesetting; eventually one can only hope that
> > people publishing on the Web learn the same lesson.
>
> Even in publishing they didn't all learn, but personally I find that
> reading _Wired_ for more than five minutes at a time gives me a
> splitting headache.

I feel your pain.  Personally, the worst typeset book I've ever read was
"Just for Fun" by a certain well-known Linux hacker... It's annoying to
read for that reason. Font varies in size and type between pages etc. It
looks like it's designed by an aspiring webdesigner that just discovered
the <font> tag.

Stig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk