[Gllug] Microsoft admit the existence of Linux!

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 20:52:42 UTC 2004

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> This page gave me a chuckle or two:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314458&spid=1173&sid=324
>
> It actually recommends booting into Linux to remove it!

Well this would be because of:

"There are other utilities that work just as well, such as Fdisk from
MS-DOS 5.0 and later"

Which is a blatant lie. There is a well known problem with MS's fdisk in
that it will refuse to remove "non-DOS" partitions from within the
extended partition, on the grounds that the extended partition contains
no partitions, and then refuse to delete the extended partition because
it isn't empty.

On a (vaguely) related note, another thing gave me a bit of a laugh
recently. Once upon a very long time ago, I used to install a very
temporary copy of Windows if I was faced with some dodgy hardware I
couldn't identify, as it was better than Linux at hardware detection,
note down what the hardware was and then blow it away.

My lodger was just given a laptop by his sister - I can see why. It's a
Dell which are mostly OK but this is one of the ultra-thin jobs from
about 4 years ago and appears to contain no hardware which isn't dodgy
(apart, perhaps, from the Pooh Bear stickers she has decorated it with).
She had Windows XP on it and it ran like a dog with no legs. Not
surprising with 64MB. So he wanted to put 98 on it, and failed (end user
isntallable OS eh?). I offered to do him a nice Debian install with a
lightweight WM but he insisted on 98. So to identify the hardware, I
booted a Knoppix CD, which got the whole lot straight off and everything
worked. I noted down what it all was, and then went into the long trawl
for the Win98 drivers for it.

Got it all working and he broke it 2 weeks later:)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk