[Gllug] Can't connect to apache locally

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Oct 25 13:24:59 UTC 2004

Darren Beale writes:

>I cannot connect to apache on localhost and I'm guessing that it's a
>routing problem.

Very unlikely. First thing to check is that the web server is actually
listening on the port to which you're trying to connect (presumably
that'd be port 80):

	netstat -ntlp | egrep :80

If it's running, and listening on that port, can you connect to it:

	nc -vvz localhost 80

But I suspect you'll find the problem is that apache is only binding
to port 80 on a specific IP address, and hence won't be accessible
via machine name. Try:

	nc -vvz $(uname -n) 80

If that worked, but the localhost one didn't, your apache config is
a good place to look. The netstat will also show you which addresses
are listening on that port, to let you double check this.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk