[Gllug] Re: Problems keeping internet connection.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 16:16:42 UTC 2004

On Sat 23 Oct, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> nameserver 80.225.252.58
>
> Which is rather interesting, because I'm currently running on 80.42.134.33.
> So, what does the difference mean and how can I change it please, and then
> change it automagically when I reboot?

   You can give a selection of nameservers, usually space separated, and
normally up to about 3 will be tried in the order listed. Your ISP may have
changed the configuration at some time, or there may be more than one
available, perhaps in different physical locations.

> > Can you ping your ADSL Gateway?
>
> Sorry Neil, I haven't a clue as to how to ping it. I don't even know where it
> is, is it the ethernet modem?

   Type "ping address" where address is either the full textual or numerical
IP address, see

man ping

--
Chris Bell