[Gllug] limiting ssh zombie login attempts

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 11:09:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:00:52AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:57:00AM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> > do internet cafes allow usb key thingies ?
> >
> > if they do it would surely still be possible to login from anywhere -
> > just so long as you have the key with you...
>
> The last (and indeed only) Internet cafe I've been in let me download
> PuTTY and install it.

me too. I wouldn't say they "let" me. more their lax permissions didn't
stop me ;-)

I guess if you want to use your private key from an insecure box you
are creating a large hole for yourself. this principle is the same
for the password. perhaps I should just create a temporary account
for such purposes with a .bash_logout that changes the password
and then kill the account when I get to a secure box.

even so this is messy as a keystroke logger would catch any su
attempts to check my mail! Perhaps I should just get my ipaq
configured properly for this kind of thing...

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk