[Gllug] [OT] Non Nat dsl router advice?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Oct 19 14:40:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Chris Bell mused:
>    I heard some time ago that an ADSL modem used with a standard BT line
> should have an IP address, but that it did not need to be a routable
> address, so the visible IP address can be allocated to the (firewall?) box
> behind it.

Odd. My ADSL router's IP address is internally-visible only, and that
only for the sake of remote administration of the router: if I never
wanted to do that, I could remove the IP address entirely. I can't see
how BT would know, or why they'd care.

(The router's operating as a PPP half-bridge, converting PPPoA to
Ethernet frames and back and doing nothing else.)

>    It goes into great detail about what is required to make a transparent
> bridge with firewall capabilities but without any visible IP address, but it
> did not seem to match the information I found with Debian. I eventually
> installed the package "bridge-utils" and found that I just had to enable it,
> everything else was done! It is very difficult to break a firewall if you
> can't see it.

Quite so :)

--
`[...] I certainly enjoyed putting it down. Perhaps I would have
 enjoyed putting it down even more if I were a veterinarian.'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk