[Gllug] Problems keeping internet connection.

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 15:49:53 UTC 2004

Sharon Kimble wrote on Friday, October 22, 2004 1:48 PM
Subject: [Gllug] Problems keeping internet connection.

> I'm using a D-link DSL300T adsl ethernet modem and a Macronix MX987x5
> network
> card and periodically I'm unable to get interent access. Its as if either
> the
> network card, or the modem, stop working. But if i reboot into MS Windows
> 2000 then it all works perfectly again, and I can reboot [again] and log
> back
> into linux. My firewall is Firestarter 0.9.3, with one trusted host which
> is
> my modem.  Kernel is 2.6.8-1.521.

When you reboot do you reboot the D-Link modem as well?

> I can, at the moment, at least log into the modem and check its connected
> and
> working seemingly okay. But when it drops the connection then I'm totally
> unable to gain access to it.
>
> Is it ...
> a) my modem dying,
 - NO
> b) the network card playing up [I did find back on windows a tick box for
> it
> to stop it powering down but I can't find anything similar on linux [and I
> can't find it back on windows again either]].
- NO
> c) a problem with my firewall.
- MAYBE - Have you set any filter rules on the modem using the default
config interface (Web or commandline) supplied with the modem?
> d) tiscali playing silly b*****s
- NO
> e) something else!
-PROBABLY

A similar thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I use a Solwise SAR110
Ethernet ADSL modem. After about 9 months of OK usage the connection like
yours kept geting frozen. It became so bad I was having to reboot the modem
every 30 minutes or so. Checking the Solwise ADSL forum I found loads of
other people were suddenly having the same problems.

As I had a Firewall already running on my gateway box I did not set up any
firewall/filter rules on the modem, just plugged it in and started using it.
The recomendation from the forum was to "Stealth" the modem/router. I'm not
particularly technical and dont really understand why this works but it
does. Basically you set an IP Filter rule which only allows incoming traffic
which relates to outgoing requests from behind your existing firewall. Now
wether this works if you have any outward facing web servers etc I dont now
as I dont use any.

Since setting this up evertything just started working again. The feeling on
the solwise forum was that it is some kind of attack on the open IP address
of your router/modem.

Here is the link for the Stealth Guide I used for the SAR110 modem -
http://www.sarguide.co.uk/stealth.php

I know you have a D-Link box but this shold at least point you in the right
direction when you search the D-Link support site

Good luck

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk