[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Oct 6 22:29:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:06:04PM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
[...]

I really don't get it ...  Editing a CSS text file and hitting
[Reload] in a browser to preview the design works fine for me.

> Getting CSS to work consistently is non-trivial and I'm not sure telling
> newbies to ditch table layouts altogether is a good idea. A hybrid approach
> using a table for the top-level layout would appear to be sensible. Eric
> Meyer has also supported this approach.

Hmmm ... this is maybe to work around deficiencies in GUI design
tools, but it's not necessary for CSS itself, even with the dreaded
Internet Exploder.  Two and three column designs are elegant and
simple in CSS.  For IE to render things correctly[1], make sure your
document is XHTML and has a valid XHTML DOCTYPE.

Rich.

[1] Or rather, as correctly as IE can ever achieve, but much better
than IE in "quirks mode".

C2LIB is a library of basic Perl/STL-like types for C. Vectors, hashes,
trees, string funcs, pool allocator: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/c2lib/