[Gllug] Cars => evil (was: RMS hurt in fatal road accident?)

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 12:48:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 01:57:46PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> While I agree with everything you say about motor cars, it won't wash;
> if that's your justification, why single out RMS (who wasn't even
> driving) for death over every other cager on the road - including the
> person who _was_ driving?

I didn't say that was my justification - I was asked why I thought cars
were evil, so I included some thoughts on the matter.

As for RMS, well it is unfortunate that he was injured, and tragic for
some that the driver lost their life, but I'm rather insensitive to such
things, even if they occur to close relatives. My point was probably
more that by accepting a lift in a car, or driving a car, you accept the
(relatively high, to my mind) risk of being involved in an accident.

I suppose the original remark was somewhat callous, but maybe I'm just a
callous individual...

I also get the sense that people on the list are getting tired of the
topic, so would suggest that any replies which you may feel would not
be of interest to gllug in general are sent off-list.

On a somewhat more technical note, should I have set Follow-Up-To: as
well as Reply-To:?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk