[Gllug] Ubuntu (was: Re: Help !!!!)

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Sat Oct 2 15:53:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 08:53 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 08:47, NorthLondon John wrote:
>
> This distro seems great for those who want a more-often-updated debian,
> but don't want to run unstable.  I don't see why these people don't sit
> on testing, though.

Because testing is worst option of all. You don't get security updates
for stable, but you don't get them bundled with feature updates in
unstable in timely manner either. Your machines are going to be wide
open to the publicly announced vulnerabilities for weeks (at least),
before the new version propagates.

> I've mentioned before that I run production boxes on unstable, so I have
> all the bleeding edge I need, anyway. :)

Cool, how do your custom applications like it? Don't they happily break
to pieces after every other dist-upgrade?

In complex setups they do, indeed. If your head is on plate if that
happens, you are in trouble running unstable. Only option is to do the
testing yourself, deploying your own testing environment preferably for
every application your shop runs, which you will be delighted to fit in
your schedule of course, or stick with backports.org, if they have it,
which they frequently don't. Backporting is supposed to be fun, isn't
it?

If you are among the few whose applications are so clever and robust as
to survive all the rest of the system moving underneath (which is a
development overhead that comes as competitive disadvantage of course),
you are one happy unstable sysadmin!

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk