[Gllug] Still no decent FTP client for Linux?

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Thu Oct 7 17:55:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 16:42 +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
> Ian Norton wrote:
>
> > using nautilus or konqueror as an ftp client will give you a tree on the left
> > and files on the right, you can just drag and drop like normal. i dont see
> > what you are getting at?
>
> Select, say 20 files, from different (sub-)directories and drag all of them
> over in one go?

I think we understand what you are trying to do, but not why. Using lftp
I'd go for "mirror -Rn dir", which puts files to server recursively
through directory if newer... this is enough specific for me.

If I want to manage a source tree for a website (which I do in my job
almost every day, being 50% Zope developer), I use a version control
system such as CVS or subversion. Far more powerful than FTP for this
purpose, but far more complicated.

Depending on the job, pick the right tool.

As soon as I must click, it is one-to-one, me and the computer, which is
fine for browsing and for reading e-mail (but *not* processing e-mail)
but not for sysadmin jobs. For something as trivial as keeping file
trees in sync I don't want a GUI to stand in my way.

Just me 2c, I am happy with people having different opinion.

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk