[Gllug] dual cpu mobo

Mark Green Mark at k2workflow.com
Fri Oct 15 07:57:50 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk [mailto:gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk] On
Behalf Of Ben Fitzgerald
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 11:53 PM
To: Greater London Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [Gllug] dual cpu mobo

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:40:54PM +0100, Alan Peery wrote:
> Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

<snip>

> If you don't need it to be quiet, buy an old compaq server.  I bought
> nice  400 Mhz dual processor box for ?400 a year ago when Divine went
of
> of business.

>Hi Alan,
>
>thanks, but I'm a bit demanding. I want the box for watching dvds and
>recording tv streams. I figure I'm going to need 2 x 600MHz to be safe
with
>this, maybe up to 1GHz if I want to encode with one and capture with
the
>other. I'd also like to keep it pretty quiet as I'd like it to be in a
>living
>space and on 24 x 7. All this makes it a pain in the ass, but hey, no
harm
>asking ;-)
>
>Ben

Hi there

This will be my first post to the list, if your looking to pick up a
nice dual cpu sys it's always worth keeping your eye open on ebay. All
ways seems to be one or 2 nice older systems on there off and on. On the
side of noise, it's a bit of a plunge but you could always opt for water
cooling, been cooling my sys that way for a few years now, main reason
was because I have the sys in my room and keep it running 24/7 so noise
reduction was an important factor for me.

Mark
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk