[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Fri Oct 1 18:10:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 12:04:51PM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> This is not strictly a technical problem, and nor is it strictly a Linux
> issue. This is an issue that many/most of us will face at one point or
> another, and well, there *is* a Linux server involved :)
>
> I have taken it upon myself to try to reform the wayward actions of my
> flatmate, a budding web designer. Last night there was an inicdent where
> he decided that he wanted his online CV composed entirely of jpeg
> images, laid out on a pop-up, composed of tables of joined images. I was
> shocked and appalled. He was horrified when I pointed out a spelling
> mistake. At this point I broke down into a childish bout of "I told you
> so". I have resolved to be stronger in future.
>
> I want to find a really good article on Web site design, written from
> the perspective of a designer who's "seen the light" on good practice.
> Ideally there should be a couple of blistering attacks with all the
> ferocity that only a recent convert can muster. It's very important that
> this comes from the perspective of a designer, rather than a geek;
> technical discussions will be pissing in the wind. The article should
> talk about impressions, image, and all those soft, cuddly ideas that
> most geeks crush under the weight of big iron and code profiling.

not so much an article but, http://www.csszengarden.com has some utterly
amazing pieces of XHTML+CSS design. much of it pretty blow socks off type of
stuff.

I must admit to formerly being very lazy with getting to know the whole CSS
thing, I was fairly dismissive of it tbh and instead wrote apps that spurted
out a nasty mix of html with tables and images. until I saw css-zen garden I
had no idea that CSS1+2 were so powerful and able to produce almost identical
content on css enabled browsers (save for the css exploitery that you can use
to hide stuff from IE that it cant understand)

One of my contributions (which admittedly doesnt work 100%) is at :
http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=http://void.printf.net/~bredroll/zen/zaurus.css

This one I think is a particularly cool thing and also gets a point accross
accessibility that your friend will have to legally take into consideration
any any full time work.

http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=http://www.decisivecommunications.com/zengarden/accessibility2004/sample.css

The author, Dave Shea is a big fan of Firefox, Safari and Opera.

Ian

--
/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk