[Gllug] Ubuntu (was: Re: Help !!!!)

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Sat Oct 2 16:16:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 09:25 +0100, Huw Lynes wrote:

> So how does running production servers on unstable work with respect to that?

Doug put it nicely, you need a clue.

Now how does it work? It doesn't. If your application depends on a
particular version of libraries, language interpreters and so forth with
a security issue, you have tough luck. They will fix it in next version
of that package of course, but also include new features that break your
application. It might be a year since you finished your development,
some brilliant "languages" like PHP change their API at least twice as
often. Security-only updates to distribution you get for a stable
release, so you better stick with two years old Woody in that case.

Or have a look at backports[0], some people got frustrated enough to
port new apps back to use the old libraries in Woody. There are
limitations to this approach, of course.

If you are tough enough and completely overflow with clues in which at
least half of this list seem to excel, you can happily run unstable.
It's probably just me when I forget my pills, and my hands of unstable
Debian sysadmin start to shake, that I think about it at all. Gulp. Some
water. Actually all is good, you just need a clue.

Jan

[0] http://www.backports.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk