[Gllug] Still no decent FTP client for Linux?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 19:17:29 UTC 2004

Garry Heaton wrote:
> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>

>> I did recently come across Firezilla, though, which
>>is a lovely Windows ftp client.
>>
>>http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
>>

> That's my lament, that the only decent GUI ftp clients, even the OSS ones,
> are for Windows. FileZilla is an excellent GUI ftp client. Why can't we have
> a Linux clone? gFTP is abysmal. KBear ain't much better and browser-based
> clients don't have the required features.

Well FileZilla is GPL isn't it? So if anyone wants it enough, they can
port it.

IIRC when I wanted to find a decent and truly free Windows FTP client to
give to users, this was literally the only one I could find, and it is
indeed very good. Most which were described as "free" turned out to be
shareware, and I refuse to condone permanant use of shareware in a
commercial environment without paying.

And then the powers that be decided not to use it and the users ended up
using IE as an FTP client. Which it is incredibly bad at. Well, no skin
off my nose, it's the server that's my responsibility:)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk