[Gllug] Is it just me or is www.hmce.gov.uk broken?

Mark Hill lists at mark.ukfsn.org
Sun Oct 10 10:00:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 10:34:44AM +0100, Pip wrote:
> On Sunday 10 Oct 2004 10:29, Mark Hill wrote:
> > From using lynx with the site, I think the redirected URL is a gzip
> > compressed text file. Can IE handle such things, or is this site
> > having a bad day?
>
> The browser isn't at fault. I've tried Dillo, Konqueror and Opera, you've
> tried lynx, others have tried Firefox... none of them know what to do with
> a .portal file.
> Well, that's my guess anyway.

I think it's to do with how the URL is being served as opposed to its
.portal extension. For example the .portal URL that www.hmce.gov.uk
redirects to has a content-type of text/plain (according to firefox),
while the online services page also has a .portal extension but has a
content-type of text/html:

<https://www.hmce.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=httpsslPageOnlineServices_Login&httpsslLogin_actionOverride=/security/login/begin>

(I found the above page through a 404 error page. E.G:
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/foo)

So it seems browsers like firefox are just doing what they're told to
do and serving a text file. :)

--
Mark Hill
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk