[Gllug] [OT] dsl router advice?

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 17:10:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 02:58:15PM +0100, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> I don't quite understand. Someone directs a packet at your ip address, say
> 152.16.45.1 and your server has an internal ip address of 192.168.254.3. I
> thought the point of NAT was that the router receives a packet for 152.16.45.1
> and you configure your router to forward any packets for the ip address
> 152.16.45.1 to the internal address of 192.168.254.3. Or am I missing the
> point somewhere ?

Works just great as long as the only place '152.16.45.1' only appears in
the IP header... when it's embedded in the data payload of the packet,
things get more complex and the NAT box has to 'know' about the protocol
in order to properly NAT it.

H.323 is just such a protocol, although the recent Gnomemeeting releases
are quite good at surviving NAT, so long as you can forward certain
ports. It's all in the Gnomemeeting FAQ, for those who are interested.

SIP tends to be a more NAT-friendly protocol.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk