[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 22:06:04 UTC 2004

>>Rev Simon Rumble writes:

>>CSS is "too hard" but making some complicated chopped-up image thing is
>>"easy"?!?!?!?  Yeesh!

>With Nightmare Weaver and other point and drool interfaces, sadly the
>answer is "yes". Making complex, non-compliant pages is easy.

>Tet

LameWeaver can't render CSS positioning properly so don't push CSS onto the
newbie if he's stuck on 'weaver. I recently had to use it because the client
insisted on having LameWeaver templates to work with down the road. The site
cotained several booking calendars done in 40-column tables which LameWeaver
just couldn't render when floated. Whether it couldn't handle the columns or
the floating or both I'm not sure but LameWeaver's much-touted CSS support
is grossly over-rated. It also has the habit of inserting your visible
cursor at the wrong point when using nested <div>s. Not good.

Getting CSS to work consistently is non-trivial and I'm not sure telling
newbies to ditch table layouts altogether is a good idea. A hybrid approach
using a table for the top-level layout would appear to be sensible. Eric
Meyer has also supported this approach.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk