[Gllug] Windows clients SAMBA printer, problem changing properties

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 22:10:56 UTC 2004

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> We are trying to set up an idependent print server using SAMBA and
> Debian. It works pretty well, serves the drivers so the clueless can
> connect to the printers easily, but they can't change the print
> properties, for example to print the first page from a different tray to
> the rest of the document.
>
> Has anyone come across this before?

When you set up Samba for point & print, there are two sets of driver
options. You should log into a Windows box as a root-equivalent user and
set the document defaults, and the printer driver options in the
properties panel on the printer. These settings are stored on the
server, and only one instance exists per printer. As such, they can be
modified only by a root-equivalent user.

Your users should be able to override job options on a per job basis,
but they will not be able to change any of the defaults. They can only
change properties by going to File/Print, and choosing the properties
button on the pring dialog. If they're trying to set properties on the
printer itself, they'll fail. That's by design, I'm afraid....

Mike.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk