[Gllug] Is it just me or is www.hmce.gov.uk broken?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Oct 10 12:16:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 10:00:05AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> When I try to access http://www.hmce.gov.uk/ I get redirected to a
> portal site but for some reason Firefox doesn't recognize it as HTML and
> just displays raw text (the source).  Is it just me or does anyone else
> get the same effect?

The page is being served with an HTTP Content-Type header of
text/plain, and Firefox is doing exactly the right thing by rendering
it as text.

IE "helpfully" ignores the Content-Type header, but as anyone who's
ever developed websites will tell you, this is not reasonable or
useful behaviour.

Rich.

C2LIB is a library of basic Perl/STL-like types for C. Vectors, hashes,
trees, string funcs, pool allocator: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/c2lib/