[Gllug] CF card write limit

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Sat Oct 16 12:35:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 11:39, julian wrote:
> Speaking of memory cards, has anyone heard of a card (CF, MMC, SD,
> whatever) that overcomes the data writing limit of CF cards? (about
> 10000 cycles IIRC). I am thinking of replacing hard disks with memory
> cards in our mini-itx proxy boxes.
No device.
But there is jffs2 http://sources.redhat.com/jffs2/
Probably less relevant if you are putting /var on a RAM disk, as below.

> Or, has anyone had a go at using a ram disk for /var partition and
> writing that to CF card on power down, then loading it back to ram disk
> on power up?
That makes good sense.
Or you could syslog to a box with a spinning hard disk.
One other bit of advice I read recently was to run a laptop kernel,
which cuts down as much as possible on the writes to disk.
I read this in a step-by-step guide to using a CF distro, which also
discussed using a RAM disk. Sorry - can't remember the URL.
I've booted the mini-ITX from a CF card, more as a demo really.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk