[Gllug] SuSe 9.1 post-installation

Craig Millar craig at shapero.com
Sat Oct 16 13:19:51 UTC 2004

Andrew Scott wrote:

>1. I had the fanciful idea of moving fairly swiftly to upgrading to
>Evolution 2.0, KDE 3,3 etc however from reading the KDE ftp mirror

for kde and gnome updates, try adding these to your installation sources
and moving them up to the top:
ftp source: mirror.mcs.anl.gov
directories:
pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.1/yast-source
pub/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_9.1/yast-source

generally i find all the rpms i need here:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/2/simple/2

of course dependencies can start stacking up pretty quickly with
standalone rpms. always find myself torn between suse, which i use at
home for it's slickness and better interaction between programs, and
debian at work which makes updating much simpler and easier to
configure. much of a muchness really, although i am finding myself
leaning more and more towards debian, much to my colleague's sneering
delight!

for what it's worth, i played around red carpet and apt4rpm on suse 9.0
and never again. by the time 9.1 came out there was such a dependency
mess that i had to wipe and do a fresh install. 9.2 out early november
as far as i know.
craig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk