[Gllug] [OT] Non Nat dsl router advice?

Ian Norton ianort at essex.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 16:47:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:29:53PM +0100, Andy McGarty wrote:

> >I happily use my linux box as a router, ive got a 2.5mbit adsl modem
> >inside it.
> >
> >I also happily use skype and gnome-meeting for voip, a little bit of
> >NAPT easily sends all voip traffic for gnome-meeting to one machine.
> >
> >Other ways I managed it in the past were to allow select callers to vpn
> >into the firewall, then the h323 traffic had reachable addresses inside
> >the private lan
> >
> >Ian
> >
> What is the dsl card you are using?  This might be an ideal solution for
> me.

i got a connexant chipset pci card from ebay, it works fairly well, (not
got my 1mb yet, will find out tonight)

the linux driver uses a binary HAL, i have had oops's with it if the
driver module is unloaded and loaded in quick succession. (although this
was with kernel 2.4.18)

im now running 2.4.26 on the machine in question but thus far have not
been using the card,

when I get home (assuming my line is activated .. i moved house) I'll
send you what lspci says it is.

> Skype was designed with NAT in mind (and I'm happily using behind this
> router), don't know what gnome-meeting uses?
> Sadly I can't set up a vpn to the h323 gatekeeper I need to talk to.

gnome-meeting uses h323 but doesnt do the daft random port trickery and
thus is easy to use with NAPT.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk