[Gllug] [OT]Reforming wayward web designers

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Oct 7 08:41:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:46:48PM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
> Exactly. Simple 2/3-column layouts are fine but try to reproduce some of the
> more complex layouts found on commercial websites. ESPN.com eventually
> managed to recode their site with CSS-positioning and it made all the news
> but reading their account of the process, it seemed CSS-P couldn't support
> everything that was in the old layout.

I think the answer here is not to use complex page layouts.

You're trying to get information across as quickly as possible, and/or
induce your customer to pull out their credit card and buy stuff.
Complex, heavyweight designs, whether in CSS or in <table>s, are
opposed to these goals.

Take a look at a very simple but successful website that we designed
for an executive recruitment agency [1]:

http://www.execellence.com/

If you have firefox, go to the bottom left corner of your browser
window and click the stylesheet button to toggle basic stylesheets.

Actually, this is a good test.  We're aiming to have every page render
in <= 2 seconds.  If anyone finds the page takes longer to render than
this, post it here.

Rich.

[1] I'll admit there are a few technical faults with it which we're
fixing at the moment.  It's also nearly, but not quite, XHTML 1.0.

"One serious obstacle to the adoption of good programming languages is
the notion that everything has to be sacrificed for speed. In computer
languages as in life, speed kills." -- Mike Vanier