[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Sep 17 14:43:58 UTC 2004

On Sep 17, 09:03, farnsaw at stonedoor.com wrote:
> Don't forget Gnoppix :) Debian based with Gnome.  It is pretty good, but
> I am sure it runs better from the HD.  If you figure that the CD is 700
> Mb Max, then if you can free up 1 Gig of disk space, that will let you
> install it to your HD, and have swap space plus a bit extra.  Then it
> will run very well.

Sorry Andrew but RTFM you will need over 3GB to do a disk install of
Knoppix. [0]

Knoppix is on a compressed file system AFAIK which is why you get those
anoying delays as the app is uncompressed.

As someone currently teaching Debian to the technically incompetent I am
not impressed with Linux usability as a desktop and even less impressed
with Debian docs/site.

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Peace Jim
--
keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon
 -- Napoleon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk