[Gllug] Help !!!!

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Sep 29 22:06:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 22:36, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running Linux for several years but the last distro I installed
> was Red Hat 8. Since then I have lost touch with what is going on in the Linux
> world. I want to upgrade to a more recent distro but I have no idea which to
> use, do I go Fedora or something else ? I want something that has a good
> installation process, like the Red Hat 8 one or better. I am happy to trash my
> current set-up and start again, although I will have to make sure I keep all
> my home directories.
If you were a Redhat user, I'd go with Fedora.
Fedora Core 2 is the current release, with Fedora Core 3 coming up.

However as a corporate user, I'd guess that you might be wanting to go
more in the Enterprise direction. Maybe think about Redhat Workstation?

The choice really at the moment is the kernel level.
Redhat Enterprise is currently in the 2.4 series, so you might want to
stay with that till there is a new RHEL release.

Fedora, SuSE etc. are running with the 2.6 series.
If this is to learn on at home, go with a 2.6 distro.

Back up that home directory before an upgrade!

And as to the direction Linux has taken recently, you'll be pleasantly
surprised.

John Hearns

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk