[Gllug] Co-lo hosting

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 09:07:00 UTC 2004

On Wed 08 Sep, David Goodwin wrote:

> >    I understand that the approximate normal ratio is that the cooling system
> > uses twice the energy used by the system being cooled.
>
> While in Singapore nearly two years ago, I often wondered if their
> excessive use of air conditioning actually made the place much hotter
> outside than it would have been otherwise.
>

> David.

   Definitely yes. I used to work with as much equipment as we could cram
into the smallest possible lorries, and often used four or more built-in
aircon units. We used far more power in summer than in the coldest winter
days when the heating was working flat out as well. We often had to park
many lorries in a very confined space, where the vents from one vehicle
would be close to the inlets for the next. The best system I saw included a
tarpaulin hung above the roof on a scaffold frame and filled with water to
absorb some of the heat from the sun.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk