Solution Re: [Gllug] Courier IMAP and outlook woes

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Fri Sep 24 13:21:25 UTC 2004

Dear All,

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried a number of things, unfortunatly the
end result had to include using outlook.

The way I use IMAP is to store all my mail on the server, in folders
within my inbox etc.  This works for me quite happily even when on the
road.

I suggested people do the same who use outlook, however this caused big
problems. The problem technically speaking is that when a user clicks
send and recieve on outlook, it recursively opens a connection to the
server for each subfolder of the inbox and downloads the headers, the
user in question had over 1gb of data and many many subfolders, so the
end result was chaos.

This was verrified by checking the server logs, where an increasing
number of connections by that user where created, and then eventually
they timed out. This unfortunatly ruled out just changing the imap
server.

I tried Thunderbird which gave good results with subfolders, although it
still didnt allow good offline mail reading from an imap server, it did
cope with large amounts of mail.

Unfortunately, outlook is a 'must have' so the solution was to move the
subfolders to the local 'personal folders' and the user has been told to
back them up regularly, this obviously means they wont be able to access
them via squirrelmail, but thats not critical.

On the agenda is a look at openexchange which looks promising if a
little overkill.

Thanks for your help

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk