[Gllug] IPComp

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 12:14:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:38:22AM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> The original idea was just to compress TCP data (the IP Payload), IPComp
> does this, but from what I can tell, it's usage causes some problems
> when compiled into the kernel along side ipsec (OpenS/WAN).

The late FreeS/WAN (and hence its derivatives, including OpenS/WAN)
implemented IPComp as an option alongside IPsec.

They therefore already have a driver, but I don't know if it is tied to
their IPsec implementation or whether it could be applied generally to
regular traffic.

Your project could focus on seperating IPcomp from the *S/WAN projects,
while retaining all existing functionality, but it might not be much
fun, and could well prove either exceptionally easy or exceptionally
hard.

Not to mention that it would dramatically change the amount of coding
you'd be doing - you'd probably spend most of your time figuring out:

a) How on earth it hooks into *S/WAN
b) How on earth to hook it into the networking layer instead
c) How on earth to configure it from userspace
d) I'm sure there'll be a d... :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk