[Gllug] [OT] speaking French in France

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Sep 9 16:31:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, dylan at dylan.me.uk stipulated:
> Pip is partly right in that a certain section of the populus got the
> idea that the pronounced 'h' was wrong and dropped it from all words.
> When the fad fizzled out, hotel got an 'h' which it previously didn't
> have.

It's interesting to hear of a way to prepend letters to words *other*
than reanalysis of `an example' -> `a nexample' and vice versa.

(not that this ever happened to the word `example', but you know what I
mean.)

(and, of course, when I say `words' I really mean `stems'; of course you
can prepend letters to words in many languages by inflecting them, but
that's not the across-time stem mutation I'm gibbering about here...)

--
`The copyright file is for everyone.  That we make it available in
 plain-text, uncompressed form rather than in spinning, throbbing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk