[Gllug] Viable back-up solutions for gigabytes?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Sep 4 16:59:02 UTC 2004

I've got slightly out of touch with viable backup solutions in the
past few years.  Last time I recommended such a thing, it involved
DDS-2 tapes which are relatively low capacity nowadays I assume.

Anyway, the problem is I've got several gigabytes of digital photos to
back up, and a few gigabytes more of mail and other archives.  At the
moment it's stored on 3 hard drives (RAID-1 pair + another machine
which contains a backup), but if the house burns to the ground, that's
not much use.

I'd like some sort of viable backup system with at least a subset of
these properties:

 * Removal media, so I can store off-site.

 * Large capacity (> 10 GB would be great).

 * Long-term, reliable storage (ie. the disks/tapes don't die when I
   try to read them back a few years later).

 * Cheap (media and drive).

Ideas?  Is tape still the way to go, or should I be better off looking
at DVD{+,-}{R,RW}?

Rich.

http://www.winwinsales.co.uk/ - CRM improvement consultancy