[Gllug] [OT] speaking French in France

Pip gl.lug at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 7 18:29:33 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 07 Sep 2004 19:19, Doug Winter wrote:
> Just to score extra pedantry points (will I win the caravan?), it's not
> any word beginning with 'h', it's words beginning with 'h' that come
> from the french.  That's why it is "an hotel" but not "an horse".

Actually, it isn't. It would be if hotel was pronounced in a French style, but
not when it's pronounced with an h at the beginning - hotel rather than
'otel. It was just a way of trying to sound sophisticated a couple of
centuries ago when French was considered a stylish language, but it went
rather wrong.

Pip
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk