[Gllug] Variable substitutuion in bash

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Sep 12 11:27:48 UTC 2004

On Saturday 11 Sep 2004 23:15 pm, Russell Howe wrote:
<SNIP>

> The bash man page is pretty well written, and looking at various
> scripts while using it as a reference makes for quite a good learning
> experience

Believe me, I've read the man page several times, as well as howtos and
various other web pages thrown up by google. I've got quoting, escaping
etc. down pat.

I've tried using a simple variable and an array in test scripts, in a
teminal, and on the console directly. Always, when the list of options
are given literally in the oggenc command it works exactly as expected.
Always, when the option list is in a variable it seems the quotes
contained in the value of the variable seem to be treated as 'normal'
characters, rather than acting as quotes. This is independent of
whether it is a scalar variable or array, and of whether I use single
or double quotes, and of whether the variable reference itself is
quoted or not...

Dylan
--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"