[Gllug] Mindmapping now available on OSS. Well, supposedly.

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Thu Sep 16 10:34:16 UTC 2004

Mindmapping now available on OSS. Well, supposedly. 'Cos I've not played
with it and don't have any particular reason to do so now that I've
given up (forced into retirement for health reasons and family care) my
academic pretensions.

But when I was doing thesis and journal articles etc. this sort of
mindmapping s/w was HUGELY useful to a "scruffy and baroque" thinker
such as myself:

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/09/10/1946203

I think this is actually an important development for linux as desktop
tool for punters, especially for open educational access where people
are weak in traditional educational skills due to lack of schooling in
formal ways (as a working class youth of my generation I count myself in
this category - had to leave school early to bring in necessary family
income, self-educated to university level - and still the first from my
area to make uni level education - but never acquired many of the skills
of "study" which always made things hard, particularly at postgrad
level). The availability of mindmapping techniques for organising
thoughts for the "ill-educated" is an important part of creating
opportunities - e.g. subsistence peasants putting together a legal brief
using the village linux box against a local landowners land grab, where
organising the thoughts, information and dependencies of argument can be
a horrifying task to even highly intelligent individuals unschooled in
the mental techniques and disciplines that enable this sort of writ.

But even in ordinary circumstances I can't recommend this sort of thing
enough to people doing complex writing, I first came across it as Tony
Buzan's Tools for Thinking in the early/mid 70s, although the reams of
spider-webbed foolscap sheets all over the study floor did get
overwhelming in longer writings!

However, this sort of thing does seem to be a love it or hate it
relationship. I love it.

If anyone has a need to use this in earnest, be nice to see a feedback.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk